NO MAYO Chicken Salad
January 15, 2020
I remember being a kid and always turning down tuna or chicken salad because I despised mayonnaise. Even as an adult, chicken salad just hasn’t ever looked appetizing to me. But while on vacation recently I tried an amazing chicken salad (no mayo!) that blew me away. It was tangy and light, plus it had pickles! The original recipe was made with rotisserie chicken, but you know I had to make it with Crock Pot chicken breasts to keep it on-brand. The creator of this yummy chicken salad was nice enough to share his recipe, so now I will share my version with you!
What you need:
- 4-6 chicken breasts
- 1 cup LOW SODIUM vegetable broth
- 1/2 small jar spicy whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 10 mini pickles – chopped
- 1 celery stalk – chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
To make chicken breast:
- Add chicken and vegetable broth to Crock Pot. Then add just enough water to almost completely cover the breasts.
- Cook on LOW for 8 hours (this is the key to avoid dry chicken!)
- Move cooked chicken onto a cutting board to shred into small pieces. Put shredded chicken in a large mixing bowl.
To make the chicken salad:
- Add smooth and whole grain mustard, olive oil, celery, pickles, salt and pepper, and apple cider vinegar to the chicken in the bowl.
- Mix well
- Add any extra vinegar or black pepper if needed
- Serve chilled
* My favorite way to enjoy is over lettuce leaves topped with shredded carrots, shredded cabbage, avocado, and sprouts!
**I always make 6 chicken breasts at a time, that way I have plenty for a couple lunches.
Hope you enjoy it!